"Webinar" to explore importance of discoverning parish core values
CHICAGO, IL [MW Diocese Communications] -- The Parish Health Ministry of the Diocese of the Midwest will host an on-line seminar -- "webinar" -- titled "Discovering Parish Core Values: Foundation for Living a Life in Christ," on Thursday, January 27, 2011 at 8:00 p.m. EST/7:00 p.m. CST.
"Many parishes have developed mission or vision statements as part of a renewal effort to rededicate their communal life to Christ," observes Joseph Kormos, Midwest Diocese Parish Health Ministry facilitator. "Far too often these statements are stuffed in a drawer -- or hung on the wall -- never to be looked at or used again. Why? One of the many reasons that such efforts may fail to create an impact is that they often focus on writing a stylized, grammatically perfect, theological description of a parish future that is disconnected from the hopes and dreams of the parish faithful."
Within this context, the one-hour webinar will focus on the importance of exploring, discussing, and capturing parish core values as the "leaven" for expressing vision, growth, and vibrancy. Approaches for discovering what the parish is truly passionate about, what it wants to stand for in the future, and how to define the behaviors that bring these values to life will be presented by Archpriest Jonathan Ivanoff, rector of Saint John the Theologian Church, Shirley, NY.
The webinar is of special interest to clergy, parish council members, ministry leaders, and any parishioner interested in beginning -- or continuing -- an effort of parish renewal.
Specific topics that will be explored during the webinar include
- What are "Parish Core Values". And, why are they important?
- Where does understanding parish values fit into the overall effort of parish renewal? If our parish clarified our core values, what would we do with them? What would be our next step?
- What's the difference between a core value, a "mission" a "strategy", and a plan?
- What factors legitimately lead to differing values among parishes? History? Neighborhood? Demographics?
- Can core values change? How?
- Five key questions to ask to begin defining and discerning your parishes core values.
To register for the webinar -- there is no cost to participate -- log on to https://www1.gotomeeting.com/register/956690105.